The Market Block Building
147 W Market St
Warren, OH 44481
The building is a fine example of an Italianate/Tuscan style historic storefront. It was originally constructed as three separate structures. These buildings were combined into one building at some point in the late 19th century and the current façade dates to pre WWI with multiple storefront modifications. The building was the town Woolworth’s for possibly 40 years, then becoming a Dollar General and most recently it was used as County offices. The building has been vacant since 2008.
On the Courthouse Square in Downtown Warren
The City of Warren has played an important role in Ohio’s history. In 1801, Warren was established as the seat of Trumbull County, and was considered the religious, social, and commercial hub of the Connecticut Western Reserve. This distinction has made the Courthouse Square a significant part of Warren’s history. The Trumbull County Courthouse is recognized as one of the most magnificent in Ohio. The Warren Commercial Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. It is comprised of various commercial and governmental entities that surround Warren’s Courthouse Square and is a major attraction of downtown Warren and Trumbull County. The 147 West Market Street property is located in the district directly across the main entrance of the Trumbull County Courthouse. According to the National Register nomination, the building has been identified as a contributing historic structure to the historic district. Even though the building has been vacant since 2008, its historic integrity has been preserved. As a major commercial structure in a prominent downtown location, it has played a significant role in the history of Warren for over 120 years.
– Tribune Chronicle
Market Block Takes Shape
– October 2011
Writing on the wall
– Tribune Chronicle
– The Chesler Group Newsletter August 2012