Andrew Jackson House Wins Best Commercial Rehabilitation Award at Heritage Ohio’s Annual Awards Ceremony
Columbus, OHIO–Heritage Ohio awarded the “Best Commercial Rehabilitation” to the Andrew Jackson House, Michael Chesler accepted the award Thursday, April 28th at Heritage Ohio’s Annual Preservation and Revitalization Awards Ceremony held at the Westin Hotel in Columbus. The Awards Ceremony is held in conjunction with Heritage Ohio’s Statewide Conference.
Best Commercial Rehabilitation co-winner– Andrew Jackson House
The Andrew Jackson House, built circa 1868 and located on the corner of East Mill Street and Union Street, is a prominent building in downtown Akron. The mansion was originally built as the private residence for Akron lumber magnate Andrew Jackson. This beautiful example of a Second Empire house near the University of Akron has played a significant role in the history of Akron for over 140 plus years.
The Chesler Group performed a complete historic restoration in compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings. The structure was in a pre-rehab condition and required comprehensive interior and exterior renovation inclusive of all new interior partitions, finishes, flooring, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire suppression systems, and new water and sewer lines as well as comprehensive waterproofing. New code complaint egress stairs, elevator, restrooms and door openings were installed to make the building ADA complaint. Exterior work on the building and site was part of the renovation including window restoration, masonry restoration, roof work, landscaping, ornate fencing and the resurfacing of the parking area.
“All the communities, organizations and individuals receiving awards today have demonstrated a local commitment to sustaining and growing the preservation and revitalization movement. Ohioans are concerned about the future of their heritage,” stated W. Kevin Pape, Board Chair of Heritage Ohio. Added Pape, “The inspiration these award winners provide to other communities will pay dividends far into the future.”
More than 20 communities, organizations and individuals submitted nominations for consideration. The awards recognize the numerous preservation and revitalization accomplishments of downtowns and neighborhoods across the state. The Selection Committee reported an increased level of quality in nominations, awarding 9 categories at this year’s event.
Heritage Ohio is the statewide, not-for-profit preservation organization, dedicated to encouraging and assisting people and organizations to protect, preserve and revitalize Ohio’s heritage. Formed in 1989, Heritage Ohio has more than 500 members ranging from individuals and households to organizations and local governments. In 2002, Heritage Ohio was designated as the statewide partner of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Heritage Ohio encourages the development, redevelopment and improvement of downtown and neighborhood commercial districts. Heritage Ohio works as a catalyst for downtown development by bringing together downtown organizations, conducting statewide seminars and conferences and providing a network to share knowledge, common experiences and challenges concerning downtowns. Learn more at www.heritageohio.org.
Heritage Ohio has received support from the Ohio Department of Development’s Office of Housing and Community Partnerships, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and several Ohio corporations.
The Andrew Jackson Residence built circa 1868 is a prominent building near Downtown Akron. The mansion was originally built as a mid-nineteenth century merchant’s residence for Andrew Jackson. This beautiful example of a Second Empire house near the University of Akron has played a significant role in the history of Akron for over 130 plus years.
TCG has completed historic restoration of this 15,550 s/f structure for professional offices in August 2009. Andrew Jackson House Renovation project is the first project completed utilizing the State Historic Preservation Tax Credit program implemented in 2007.
The mansion is new headquarters for two private foundations serving Akron and Northeast Ohio. The anchor tenant is GAR Foundation. GAR houses its executive, administrative and program staff, as well as provides public space for community events. The mansion also provides space for the Akron-based staff members of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.