1515 West 29th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113
Total Square Footage
25,000 Sq Ft.
National Register of Historic Places
Well designed and robust Neo-classic brick building. Originally a grade school, the building has numerous large rooms with high ceilings and abundant light. Designed by Frank Barnum, specialist in the design of fireproof schools. Third floor gymnasium. Clear views of Cleveland skyline. ADA compliant.
In the heart of Cleveland’s Ohio City overlooking the historic Franklin Circle. Near Shoreway access and public transportation.
Opened at this site as West High School (Cleveland’s Second Public High School)
Building used as a private school
A public school know as West Manual Training School
West Manual Training School and Boys School
Current building is constructed as an annex
Complex becomes The School for Incorrigible Boys, operated by Cuyahoga County through 1920’s
Offices for various social service agencies including: The Cuyahoga County Relief, Administration and National Youth Administration
North building is raised
Renamed William Holmes McGuffey School, a Cleveland Public School, in existence through here until 1975
Converted into “live work” spaces, later becomes vacant
Listed as condemned
Purchased by Michael E. Chesler and investors
The McGuffey School building is recognized by the U.S. Department of the Interior and is added to the National Register of Historic Places
Historic Restoration Process
November 21, 2002
Grand Opening Celebration
Dedication of The McGuffey School as the permanent home of The Covenant Adolescent Chemical Dependency Treatment & Prevention Center, Inc.
Restoration gives Ohio City’s old McGuffey School new purpose
The Plain Dealer